The dog image was made using reverse buttercream technique. Just remember the image icing will look messy until after freezing and you flip the image over so the front, smooth side is viewed.
- Tape a coloring page or print out onto a flat board or bottom of a cake pan.
- Tape wax paper over the coloring page.
- Outline the image with colored frosting.
- Place in the freezer a few minutes to slightly harden the outline.
- Remove from freezer.
- Fill in other the empty areas with appropriate colored frosting.
- Return the image on the board or cake pan to freezer for an hour or more.
- Once the buttercream has hardened, remove from freezer, remove tape from wax paper, and flip the frozen image onto frosted cake top.
- Carefully peel off the wax paper.
- Use a crusting buttercream frosting.
- Apply a thin layer of white buttercream icing onto the image to eliminate chances of food coloring bleeding onto cake top icing.